Frank McHardy first started work for the company at its Springbank distillery in Campbeltown during 1977. With the exception of a subsequent decade spent across the Irish Sea at Bushmills, McHardy has called the Kintyre peninsula home ever since
As the ‘face’ of the idiosyncratic Springbank distillery and its range of whiskies, McHardy undoubtedly raised the profile of the brand, and he has always been a passionate champion of Campeltown and an invaluable source of information on its history
During McHardy’s time with Mitchell’s, Springbank diversified into a third range of whiskies to sit alongside ‘standard’ Sprinbank and the heavily-peated Longrow, namely the unpeated and tripledistilled Hazelburn, first produced in 1997
Between 2000 and 2004 he was responsible for sourcing of all the equipment and designing the layout of the revived Glengyle distillery, which had last produced whisky in 1925. The development of this venture remains one of McHardy’s proudest achievements, and the principal Glengyle distillery structure was named the Frank McHardy Production Building in recognition of his contribution.
McHardy joined the Scotch whisky industry at Invergordon grain distillery in 1963. He went on to work at Tamanvulin and Bruichladdich, in addition to Bushmills and Springbank
Though officially retired from his role with JA Mitchell & Co Ltd, McHardy continues to conduct specialist tours of Springbank, and presides over the distillery’s Whisky Schools. He also now offers his services as a consultant to the whisky industry and carries out tastings. He may no longer be the ‘main man’ at Springbank, but Frank has far from retired from the business of whisky-making that he so loves